September 25, 2006

Painting: A Numbing Array of Choices



Have you ever walked into a home decor store and taken a look at the number of color choices? Holy cow, it's enough to make your eyes cross! I swear, no matter how many times I think I have a color scheme in mind, it inevitably ends up changing after I have been presented with the walls of color swatches. My boyfriend and I had discussed what colors we would use in the new apartment: a light mossy green in the bedroom and a café au lait type of hue for the living room, entrance and hallway. These are the colors we ended up with: khaki in the bedroom (which turned out to be quite nice) and a brighter peachy color in the living room, entrance and hallway. So much for our initial plans...
.
Once you make your decision, then the real fun begins. The painting itself is quite tedious, what with taping edges, doing the corners, going around doors and windows, etc...It may not really feel like you are doing much at the time, but boy do you feel it later! I woke up yesterday after having painted all afternoon on Saturday with sore parts that I was cursing all day. The balls of my feet were actually in pain. My shoulders were sore and tight from rolling the paint on the walls. My lower back was sore because I had been on my feet the whole time, bending and reaching, alternately. And finally, the one which I couldn't figure out at first: my hamstrings. They were the victims of all the crouching I did to outline the floorboards. Ouch! My body is no longer speaking to me :(
.
Okay, so all complaining aside, I am glad that the painting turned out as well as it did (the hallway got finished tonight and the place is now ready to be inhabited). Now it is definitely time to move in and boy is it ever a good thing that all the painting got done before we got all the furniture in. Thank goodness for small favors :)

No comments: