September 27, 2006

Reading Survey Making its Rounds



There seems to be a thread making its way around the blogging population, so I figured I'd add my 2 cents worth for whomever may care what I think (btw, that's the library on the Tampa campus for the University of South Florida, top right, where I had to research many a report as a student).
.
1) A book that changed your life: Wow, that's a tough one since I have read many books that have left imprints. I read a book once that was about gypsies and the type of life they lead. It was very eye-opening. Also, the Anne Frank diary is quite captivating. So many books, so little time...
.
2) A book you've read more than once: I am not really one to read books more than once because my memory is WAY too long. However, I have read To Kill A Mockingbird by Lee Harper more than once and always in one straight run. I just LOVE that book (the movie with Gregory Peck is also excellent). When I was a kid I often read Beverly Cleary books over and over because they made me laugh (Ramona Quimby was quite the character).
.
3) A book you'd want on a desert island: Hmmm...101 Ways to Cook What is Within Arm's Reach...mwa ha ha ha!
.
4) A book that made you giddy: Is this a trick question? Do I really need a book to make me giddy? Not likely...However, there was a book called Dad's Life by Dave Hill that made me giggle. One of the kids is hilarious because he absolutely wants to be Snow White for Halloween and his whole character is just cute. Also, Sex for Dummies...if you need that, then I'm thinking you've been living under a rock...lol
.
5) A book you wish had been written: Why Call Them Love Handles When I Don't Love Them and I Can't Handle Them? for obvious reasons ;)
.
6) A book that wracked you with sobs: A Time For Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin. I read this book and found it hard not to cry while reading it during my lunch hours at work a few years back. All the girlfriends I loaned it to said they had a hard time keeping it together as well. It's a story about 2 best friends and how they cope with the fact that one gets cancer. A very heartfelt story that goes through all the emotions: sadness, anger, hope...
.
7) A book you wish had never been written: I just read a book recently that was WAY too disturbing (I don't even remember the title, I've blocked it from my mind already). It started out as just the narrative about this guy's life and when I was about 20 pages from the end...BOOM!...he goes into how his love for his sister also happens to be something that leads them to sleep together all the time...YUCK!!!
.
8) A book you are currently reading: Yesterday I started reading a book called Brother and Sister by Joanna Trollope. We'll see if it's any good. It's another discount table purchase. Time to find out if it is a pleasant surprise...
.
9) A book you've been meaning to read: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I remember loving the movie and crying a lot when one of the characters died. Way back in high school (okay, not THAT way back) I was told by a girl in one of my classes that she was having a hard time reading the book because it kept making her cry. I am curious...
.
10) Tag: Okay, I tag Kawi to tackle this next...

2 comments:

Nicky said...

Yea! I'm so glad you filled out this survey... I'll be checking out your selections. Thanks for noting that information in my comments!!

minou11 said...

You lent me "A Time For Dancing" and I remember crying so much! It was such an emotional book. I think I had read it on vacation somewhere with my family because I remember crying in my parent's backseat and my Mom asking me why I was crying....
I will need a little bit of time to complete this survey as I have some answers in my head, but will need to search for some book titles a little bit (a lot of my books are in boxes in our basement as I have too many and not enough book shelf space).